Friday, February 13, 2009

Settled with the Fam

Today I moved in with my host family. Like SLR in Sevilla, I´m living with a matriarch, Guttierez. Her husband died ten years ago. For the most part she lives alone, except for when her granddaughter, Aymara, 5 years old, comes to stay with her on weekends.

I´m her tenth son in 8 years! A mother con mucho experiencia! She picked me up today at the hotel with Aymara around 4:30 pm. After unpacking my things--my room smells a bit like the Humphries cottage (nice and comforting)-- we strolled around the neighborhood. I´m very close to the subway that leads to the metro--no more than 7 minute walk. The university is 3 stops away from me. It´s the perfect location in the center of Santiago.

I´ve got a caling card and wil be caling you all as soon as I figure out how to work it. Got a prepaid cell phone today, too. You can try caling me. Local number is 6-21-701-37. Chilé´s international caling code is 56. Further, the code for Santiago is 2.

Mis you all very much. Moving in was very strange today, especially trying to wrap my head around the fact that this is my home for the next 5 months.

Internet is tricky at this aprtment, but we should get the skype thing rolling soon. Facebook me.

Love, D

4 comments:

  1. Great to hear your voice honey. Sorry we got cut off. send me your mailing address so i can write to you. i will look into getting a calling card so I can call you occasionally.
    Have fun and enjoy every minute! Love you mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. daver- nice update, and so very happy you're settling in w/ your new "family", but can understand all the newness must be bizarre and a bit scary. love hearing the updates! lots of love, s&e&j

    ReplyDelete
  3. Que pasa, tio? Got back yesterday from taking Holly to see Old Dominion, then to Dana Farber, then home. All is well here - Chris is in FL w/Alice, Jane and Michael until Monday - seems really quiet around here!

    Your posts are great to read and bring back snapshots of some of my adventures en Espana. Thanks for bringing back the memories as you create what will be your own. In my experience they have lasted a lifetime!

    Best love from us all!

    Dad

    PS Cape (#4) beat #1 Greely in the W Class B semi-final at the Civic Center 46-45 on a length of the court pass to Andrew Dickey who turned and and scored as the clock ran out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey all, I'll be better about responding to these comments. Didn't even realize until today that they existed!

    ReplyDelete