Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Valley de Elqui

Spent a long weekend (Wednesday- Sunday) in the Valle de Elqui, a small, mountaineous region about 8 hours North of Santiago. In Elqui, ATMs dont exist and cell phones don´t work. Along with 4 other friends I camped alongside a river at the base of a mountain. The ground was hard to sleep on, but the stars were indescribable. In the Southern Hemisphere, some constellations are the same as up North; for the most part, though, it´s a whole different sky down here. And up there in Elqui, where humanmade light is virtually nonexistent at night, the sky is so bright that you don´t even need to light a fire (though we did anyway, to eat).

Had my first day of orientation yesterday. Don´t have to be registered for my clases for another week and a half. The classes actualy begin tomorrow, but what we gringos are supossed to do is go and sit in on the classes we´re interested in taking to see if we like them. I´ve got to get all my courses approved by department chairs back in NYC which could be a tedious proccess. I think it will all go well. Some good news is that students studying abroad in the Spring get preferential registration for the following Fall semester back at Fordham. I get to register for whatever classes I want about two weeks before everyone else. Sweet!

Once I´ve got my schedule figured out I´ll post it up on this blog, as some have asked for full course description as soon as it´s available.

Last night a group of Chilean students from the University brought about 60 Americans to this rustic bar for a couple rounds of Chile´s native (drago) drink, Pisco Sour. Met some new Chilean friends, got there numbers for future hang out sesions, and, most importantly, spoke Spanish all night long. I find that when thrown into situations where I must speak Spanish-like when hanging out with a group of Chilean kids who don´t speak English--my speaking capability jumps tenfold. But my Spanish is broken when trying to speak with a group of Americans. We still do it anyway. It´s the only way to learn. A language is learned in a lifetime, not in two and a half weeks. Must remain patient. My little sister Aimara helps me with this. We´ve been getting along great, as we share the same level of vocabulary.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the update, daver.
    ¡una quĂ© aventura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from you, Dave! Take each experience as it comes, each new word, phrase, expression, sight and smell. You are exactly where you're supposed to be at this moment. 'ta luego. Dad

    ReplyDelete