Saturday, April 11, 2009

Holy Week and Other Things

All's quiet in Santiago this weekend as the city's residents relax and observe "Semana Santa." Most businesses have been closed since Friday. My host mother closed her little grocery store along with others. The University suspended all classes and activities after 1:00 pm on Thursday.

All the bars and clubs were open last night so people could have a really good Friday. I went out last night in need of some fresh air, having been cramped inside the apartment all day doing work. At one club, I recognized an actor who I had seen in a play the night before. We started to talk. I said "The play was funny," to which he replied "It's not a comedy." The play, an experimental piece that retells the history of Chile through abstraction and metaphor, is filled with phony passion and melodrama that I totally thought was a joke. Oops. It wasn't a comedy, just really bad. So then I said "Oh, sorry, I don't speak Spanish that well." He wasn't too offended.

Not sure what to expect tomorrow, Easter. Host mom is a catholic, but not a practicing one. There are these little wooden Christ figures all over the house, yet she never talks about faith. I imagine we'll have a large dinner of some sort. I'll spend the day writing a boring paper about melodrama in early 19th century theatre, and probably won't reflect too much on Christ's resurrection. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to resurrect myself from this deathly online procrastination.

No comments:

Post a Comment