Sunday, April 12, 2009

ROBBERY!

Witnessed my first robbery last night. At about 1 am I'm standing with a group of friends at a bus stop in the center of town, a real popular spot where you wouldn't expect theft. My friend Katie is leaning against a lamp post, her back faced towards the road. What happens next passes in no more than fifteen seconds. A kid, no more than 15, sneaks up behind Katie with his hood up; he grabs her purse from behind and takes off running across the street into the darkness; I take one step to chase him and realize that there are about 15 other guys standing both right in front of me and across the street; I freeze and watch; they don't touch anyone else, and disperse within ten seconds; it's all over.

These thieves never work alone. Even smaller crime like snatch-and-run is highly coordinated. Many forces at work. It occurred to me after that if I had chased the thief (or "fleighte"--one who flees--as they say here) I would have at least gotten my ass kicked by the guys hanging behind, and there's a better chance than not that I would have been stabbed. Best to just let it go.

Katie lost some money, her cell phone, Chilean ID card and university ID. Not bad. All easily replaceable. No credit cards or passport. More than anything it's a shock. I was definitely scared for a minute when ten angry men were staring me in eye. But Katie and I had a laugh later on when we imagined what her assaulter would do when it came time to split her 20 bucks 15 ways.

Lesson: 1.) Think for a minute that you won't get robbed and you will. 2.) You'll get robbed in the center of town with a police officer standing less than a block away. 3.) Don't chase. Better to lose an i-pod than an eye.

About 5 kids from my program have been robbed in two months.

4 comments:

  1. Ok...I've heeded your warning. Today I bought a wallet I can wear around my waist under clothing when we're visiting.
    Glad everyone is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dave - haven't been on your blog for awhile but u. sam suggested i take a look. thanks for all the cool updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading. Good move Mom. Definitely no big or flashy purses, jewelry, or even clothing. We'll be drawing enough attention as it is just by the height and color of skin. No need to subject ourselves to robbery.

    About the jewelry. Though less frequently, I do hear stories of women who get earings ripped off their ears and necklaces stripped from their necks. BASIC IS BETTER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll dye my hair dark brown and do a lot of tanning so I'll blend in w/the crowd. Than maybe I can carry a bag, else where will I put my camera and chapstick??!

    ReplyDelete